Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hookers, Haircuts and My Bedroom

So far, the April Upgrade to Blogger dashboard hasn't happened.  Woohoo!!!

That means I can still write and arrange in a blonde-friendly fashion.  I'm relieved and thankful for the reprieve.

I've mentioned in previous blogs that a few of my friends from work are in process of establishing a new company.  They've been getting business for a while now, working independently.  Once they've stepped it up, and have made the new company official, I'm not sure how they'll manage to keep up with the work, but as the saying goes, "It's all good!"  No sooner than they finish an order, it seems to have three more to take it's place.  And, as they've worked, they've been kind enough to teach some of their interested co-workers their techniques.

Amy Dawson: Hooker-In-Training,
untangling a double-threaded
nightmare for Kimy-Jo.
At the office, on the night shift, some of us read when we're not on a call.  I would be one of those.  However, others have taken up hooking, and those who engage in it, have been aptly nicknamed, by Dr. Darla, The HookersShe can get away with that sort of thing, because she's one of them. 

Dr. B.J. Rakow, PhD
Author and authority
of some useful, and
often incredibly
funny, content!
What the hookers do is hook!  Don't be alarmed.  They hook with yarn, knitting needles and looms, and they're making some beautiful pieces out of their efforts.  S.Elf and Kimy-Jo started it.  Now the entire crew seems to have their own corner on the market.  Am I being too corny? (Grin!) Please pardon.  I really couldn't help myself.  It's early and I've not yet finished my second cup of coffee.  I had a sudden sleep-delerium-induced urge to follow in the footsteps of Dr. B.J. Rakow with her comical quips and puns. Obviously, I'm no competition to her unique flair and skill in these areas.  By the way, if you haven't taken the time to read her work, you should.  It's short, to the point, and it will make you laugh and smile so much your face will ache.  Dr. B.J. is brilliant

Past The Hookers and Dr. B.J., there is last night's near-incident with the senior-brother of the Muscle Next Door.  The Muscle Next Door consists of Seth, Jared, Lukas and Andrew Hall, in that order, from eldest to youngest.

The boys are fairly well versed with my schedule, whether I'm on or off work.  Yesterday, I was off.  And, I'm in habit of falling asleep early in the morning, and sleeping through the entire day.  My bedroom has two doors that open onto to the back patio.  One's a heavy wooden door, the other is a storm door.  Before our border collie, Jack, who died in February of this year, I seldom shut the wooden door because Jacko got frustrated being penned in.  His dog-door is installed in the storm door, and he'd always been permitted to go in and out to the back yard whenever he wanted.  Sorry if that's been confusing, and hope I've managed to help you to keep all my bedroom doors straight.

Since Jack died, I've been closing the wooden door at night.  The boys know this has become a new routine since we don't have Jack on guard duty in my bedroom in the evenings now.

Yesterday, I had trouble sleeping, and didn't manage to pull it off until late in the afternoon, after several excursions in and out of my bed.  Since I fell asleep during the daytime, I wasn't worried about intruders, and I'd closed the door only partially, to block a little bit of the light streaming into my room.

If my phone rings when I'm sleeping, and I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it.  If I do, I don't trust what I hear, or what I might say, so it's best to wait and return the call later.

I got a new phone last week, and Seth's ID photo failed to transfer when I programmed it.  His dad, McGuyver (aka Jonathan, the guy who can do anything) called once from Seth's mobile to make arrangements for haircuts for Luke and Andrew.  I didn't recognize the number, so shut down the call.  Seth called twice more, thinking I was awake because it was already later than when I usually wake up. 
My bedroom, slash office-space.
Yes, I use an exercise-ball rather than an office chair.
The ball works better to alleviate lower back pain when I've
been at my keyboard for a long while.  I took this photo
from the doorway that that opens to the back patio.
  My bedroom doubles as my home-office.  It's small, and still in the process of reconstruction, which includes a hole in the wall being closed up (where McGuyver and I removed an old Coleman furance, and I currently have a U.S. Marines towel hung to cover it), and a completion of the paint job I started last summer.

Because it was evening, and I'm usually awake by then and working at my desk after having slept all day, Seth decided to come through the barn-gate in the privacy fence that divides our yards, to knock on my door.  When he found the door ajar, and the lights out, he got worried, and pressed it farther open a tiny bit.  He said later, "I'm so sorry!  (Although, there was no need to apologize.) It was dark, it was quiet, the door was open a little bit.  I saw a foot and it wasn't moving."  He was relieved, but serious, and I cracked up, although I did feel bad for alarming him.

He decided rather than rush in and attack whoever was in the house that shouldn't be, and had possibly harmed Ma and I, that he would go back to his house and try to call one more time before he brought in the troops to either rescue us, or catch the perp, or both.

If I'm awake, the neighbors know it.  The window treatments
are made from reeds.  If the lights are on, it shows easily
from outside.
Thankfully, the last time he called, I woke up, shut down the phone, but got up and ambled to the kitchen for coffee.  When I got back to my room, I picked up my phone, checked the messages, and returned the call to the neighbor's landline.  Seth answered on the first ring.  He was elated that all was well, and that he could tell the troops to stand down.  Which meant, he wouldn't have to round up his dad and brothers to storm the house, coming to our rescue, or subdue bandits.  (Thankfully, if they HAD stormed the house and found me in bed, due to having an occasional sleep-walking issue, I sleep dressed appropriately enough that if I wake up anywhere but in my bed, I won't be embarrassed, or embarrass anyone else.) 

Seth Hall of the Muscle Next Door
Seth works in film industry.
Here he is on a film-shoot, filling in
as an extra, made up as a
casualty.
I found the whole incident to be quite comical.  I've posted a rather gruesome photo of Seth here, but if you'd like to see what he looks like when he's not in theatrical makeup you can click the caption to see a more normal photo of him, showing what he usually looks like at work, in an article written about him on Hubpages, last year.
Never a dull moment in our neighborhood.  And, I sincerely wish EVERYONE who lives in town, had folks living next door as wonderful as the ones we have.

It's one of those few things that make city-living bearable for a transplanted country-girl like me. :)

And, a final note to let those of you who've sent photos to be added to the Veterans Honors page, thank you!  I'm still in process of posting a few of them, so no worries!  They'll be added soon!

We have weather coming in, and the Emergency Alert System has been sounding the alarm for the surrounding counties every few minutes.  So, I'll wrap this up, get the boys haircuts underway, batten down the hatches and pray.  I hate storms.

Thank you for the read!  Til' next time, God bless, have a great day and please don't forget to thank a Vet at your next opportunity!

femmeflashpoint

2 comments:

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Good to see you are a boot that knows how to take orders and then snap to and carry them out!

With make up skills like that Seth should consider moonlighting as a casualty form ambulance services when they do mock mass trauma drills!

With a little first aid education he could be a very valuable commodity, a victim that could actually help access his treatment by the crews instead of just laying there moaning and looking bored!

Unknown said...

Good afternoon, Lethal -

I was a bit later with the post than I hoped, but it couldn't be helped.

Hope you're having better weather down your way than we are here.

It's been dicey this afternoon.

I don't think Seth would mind moonlighting as a casualty with EMS rodeo's, but after tonight, his busy schedule will be even more packed.

He's running for Precinct Chairman, and he plans to actually work the position.

I'm hoping all goes well and I can shake his hand afterwards as our new precinct chairman.

I believe he'll do a great job with it. :)

femme