Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ringling Bros. - providing smiles for the crowds and cries from the animals.

For me, writing isn't like riding a bike.  When I don't stay consistent with it, I get rusty.  And, rusty would be a good description of how it's feeling today, attempting to put a blog post together after being 'off the page' for a few weeks now.

The reason for the absence is a migraine-storm, that hasn't let up long enough to get much of anything done on the literary front.

Since I haven't been reading as much as the norm, I've been dependent on getting most of my information regarding current events from my friends.  Some of it's been good and some of it's been disturbing.

One of the articles S.Elf informed me of last week was regarding Ringling Bros. circus and the incredible animal abuse being practiced by their animal handlers. 

Before you plan a visit, when the Ringling Bros. circus is in town, I'd advise watching this video.  There's also an affiliated website you might want to have a look at, with further information of the behind-the-scenes atrocities committed against these animals before they're paraded in front of adoring audiences packed with kids, who have no idea what these poor things go through before they make it to the entertainment ring.  The website is http://www.ringlingbeatsanimals.com.

I'll warn you now, if you've any heart at all, this will make you cry, and it will make you think twice before going to the circus.  After seeing this, until I'm convinced that this sort of thing isn't happening behind the scenes of all circus groups, the last one I attended will be the last one I attend.

Since this blog started on a dark note, I'd like to lighten things up a little before closing it.

Dos Molina's is a restaurant in the Fort Worth Stockyards that's been around for a long time.  My friend Torres has been going there for years, and she's the one who introduced me to it.  The restaurant recently went through a face lift, and they've got the place looking great!  Stained glass windows, and a new festive interior came together beautifully, and they're still not finished.

The Double-L funeral service crew met there on Monday for our monthly get-together, and we weren't disappointed.  The company was wonderful, and the food was excellent, and it isn't exorbitantly priced.  We left with smiles on our faces and without our wallets feeling pinched. 

L to R: Kit, Bobby D., Torres and D.J.
Kit had just returned from a cruise and was filling us in on what it was like to swim with dolphins.  No sun-screen, no sun glasses, and no jewelry.  Just you, the water and the dolphin, and it's totally worth it.  I've added it to my bucket list. 

This was the first time Molina's has hosted the Double L. gang, and thankfully, they didn't ask us to leave and not come back after a great deal of high-volume laughter.  (I'm always relieved by that.) 

They get two thumbs up for tolerating us, without pressing their fingers to their lips and warning us with a "Shhhh!!"

Thankfully, the other patrons didn't complain either. 



April-May-June, striking a pose. :)

My friends at Agero haven't let me down either, in bringing on the smiles.  One of my friends and colleagues there is April (known to us as April-May-June, because we can't NOT call her that) is forever trying her hand at new projects.  Sometimes it's hooking (as in yarn on a loom), other times it's a new manicure style, and then there are the hand-made with personal flair clothing items she designs.

Her most recent project was a purple tu-tu, which she was kind enough to model for us on the night shift.  She's positive minded, good hearted and as funny as they come.  She not only modeled it for us, she took the time to turn a few poses down our makeshift runway as well.

Camera flashes were going off throughout our whole section, and we laughed at her antics until the tears rolled.  She was a good sport about it and decided the tu-tu was a hit.

Sheriff Mack
Other good news is, Sheriff Mack (Richard Mack) is running for Congress.  Applause!  Applause!!

I'm impressed with this guy.  He' a constitution stickler, and has spent a great deal of his time educating other sheriff's in their constitutional roles, and the importance they play in the protection of the communities they serve.

He reminds me of Davey Crockett, who pretty much told Washington to take a hike when he said, "I bark for no man."  Sheriff Mack is an ongoing reminder that elected officials are public servants, and meant to do exactly what they're elected and paid to do;  protect and serve the taxpayers who foot their bill, not be lords and masters over them.  That was supposed to have ended with the Revolutionary War, but some folks have forgotten that it's representatives we're paying for, not leaders.

That's it for today.  Barring headaches, I'll be back soon. 

I have a trip coming up next week with some friends from Agero to check out some mountain bike trails and a castle at Turner Falls Park in Oklahoma.

I may have to ride wearing an ice pack strapped to my head with a bandanna, but I'm determined to at least get to ride my Schwinn in the dirt, and see a castle up close that I've only seen from a distance before.  It looks very cool and I'm anxious to check it out.

Thanks for the read!  Hope you have a great week!

God bless, and don't forget to thank a veteran at your next opportunity!

femmeflashpoint

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No circus for me ! What loosers !! How do they sleep at night ! Thank you for bringing this madness into the light for others to witness ! And I would love to experience the restraunt in the near future .

Unknown said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for the read and the comment.

No circus for me anymore either. And, I'm with you in not knowing how people who engage in activity like this can sleep at night.

I have a deepseated distrust and general dislike of people who have no issues in being cruel to animals.

And, I'm DEFINITELY not going to spend money to be in financial support of their activity.

femme

Lethal Leprechaun said...

U.S. Politics is enough of a Circus for me.

Unknown said...

Lethal,

Amen, brother.

You're preaching to the choir.

femme

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Ok enough patience, your STILL not getting the message!

Ninja kitty has left this morning for your place again. You last coffee cup your coffee supply and your Monster drinks are her primary targets.

Post or be forced to rely on instant coffee!

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Ninja Cat has been delayed by the heavy rains but is one here way I suggest you safe your last remining cup and your C affine fix by POSTING!!!!

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Hows that instant coffee from paper cups?

Unknown said...

Lethal,

I've recovered from "most" of the mess I've been contending with the last couple of months, and have decided I'm going to survive. :)

Hopefully, most folks are happy about that ...

Thanks for being patient and for checking on me!

It's truly much appreciated!

femme