Friday, August 19, 2011

THE SUPERB RESCUSITATION OF DRAGON LAFFS


  Good morning peeps!


About a year ago I came across a website called Dragon Laffs. (http://dragonlaffs.com) It's a publication which is devoted to Liberty (I capped Liberty on purpose - it's a popular word with me and several others), current political information, as well as whatever they can find to light up patriots' faces with loads of smiles for the day.  I've enjoyed the publication immensely from the start, and a few days ago felt a tidal wave of sadness slam into me (I really did feel slammed) when they informed their readers that due to time shortages, and other personal reasons, they were disbanding their team, and the Dragon Laffs publication had come to a close.

The news ruined my day.  It's true.  In fact, I considered wearing a black arm band to express my mourning for an entire month. (The Sherlock Holmes fans did just that when Sir A.C. Doyle killed off the world's favorite detective of the era.)
However, much to my surprise and relief, the writers of Dragon Laffs have rescinded the publication's obituary notice, and are endeavoring to continue their work, but on a limited basis.  In blonde-friendly-speak, that means there will be fewer publications, but fewer is much better than none at all. 

Being empathetic of having to work, sleep and also find time to write and edit, and afterwards navigate through all the techno-gadgetry to get the copy published, I felt for the writers, who's pen-names are Lethal Leprechaun and Impish Dragon.  I had a somewhat passable estimation of how much effort went into the publication.  What is even more commendable is, they made the publication available for everyone.  Donations could be made to help them cover costs, but they never charged a penny to have access to the publication. 

And so, I'm very happy to report that Dragon Laffs will continue, and the Pursuit of Liberty in Life and Literature torches will continue to burn brightly, just a bit more infrequently.  (Again with the caps, I know - but it's a blogggg!)  Therefore, if you check the publication out and enjoy it, please consider making a donation.  These guys put grand effort into what they do, and like many of the rest of us, they are very busy with other demands in life as well.  Their work is an honorable sacrifice, and deserves accolades.

Now .... here's my WARNING!!!

Dragon Laffs is not for all readers.  It's not for young readers.  It's not for (pause, drumming my fingers on my desk searching for the right words) Christian readers who have scruples where salty language (that's Bishop McCool's description of certain verbage that can often be considered offensive), and it has graphics that are .... (again with drumming my fingers on my desk for a word-search) ... ok, I know how to put this now.

I grew up Pentecostal.  A faith full of very strict standards, and I appreciate those standards.  Hang with me here, I'm honestly going somewhere with this.  My point issalty verbage and salty graphics are not for everyone.  So, please be warned that Dragon Laffs does occasionally (I use that description veryyyyy loosly) contain the aforementioned content and many of my friends and family would likely, probably - very possibly most certainly, find some of their literary and graphical content offensive. So, for Heaven's sake, those of you who fall into that category pleaseeee steer clear of the site!!!

(This post is gonna get me into sooooo much trouble - I can already see it flying at me from all points on the compass.)

On the other hand, when I glean through it, I selectively pick the bones out of the fish.  With the salty language and graphics aside, it's a wonderful resource for conservative information of what's happening in the US and abroad, who's doing commendable stuff to maintain Liberty, and of course, the massive amount of humor contained in each issue.

Personally, my favorite parts are the perpetual bantering matches between Impish and Lethal.  They crack me up with their constant bickering.  But, when they put their heads together in journalistic endeavors, they are genuinely gifted.  It's true - they need their mouth's washed out with soap, BUT, they're so supportive of U.S. Vets that their attitude in that area buys them a great deal of leeway (I hope I spelled that right) in my estimation.

Impish Dragon's bio on Dragon Laffs states that he lives in a cave somewhere in northern Indiana.  Yes - my Hoosier friends and kinsmen are residing in the same local of this "hooligan" who wants to save the world (I'm paraphrasing here) via the employment of "laughter, inappropriate behavior, obnoxious opinions and opprobrious rants."  By DAY he's an "Emergency Manager and CBRNE Survival Instructor. For the uninitiated, CBRNE stands for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and high-yield Explosive." (I gave up - it's just easier to copy/paste when I'm sleepy.)  Impish advises that in blonde-civilian terms that means he teaches G.I.'s how to stay alive in way less than best conditions. (Yes - I'm big whoppin' impressed with all that!)

Lethal Leprechaun's bio reads (again I'm blending copy/paste and paraphrasing here) that he is a "True Born Son of Erin, Cook, Bartender, Baby & Pet Sitter, Physiologist, Pub Philosopher and Poet, Electrician, High Tech-Tinker, Connoisseur/Aficionado of Fine Whiskies (Irish & Single Malt Bourbon), Imported Beers, Fine Cigars, and Fine Women (Irish Lasses and Redheads), an Emergency Medical Tech, Computer Nerd, Cyber Security Expert an all around Card Carrying Paranoid Skeptic and general World Class Curmudgeon."  Ok, Lethal, I'm impressed with yours too. :)  See?  I'm smiling!

And, again, by DAY he's the "Co-owner of, as well as, the Administrative and Authoritarian force behind DragonLaffs, as well as playing the straight man to Impish Dragon, while serving as a permanent thorn in his backside. He owns a music group, and moderates 2 wallpaper groups."  He resides in Houston, Texas.  He also runs a cyber-security consulting business and assists his wife, an author, with her writing projects as needed.  (At least that's my interpretation of it, and I'm not sure what a wallpaper group is.  Maybe he's referring to paper, buckets, ladders and paste?)

I thought I had a busy schedule!  The Dragon and Leprechaun have put me to schedule-shame.

Another thing I love about Dragon Laffs is this, they not only support independently, but they provide information consistently to readers on how to provide support to U.S. troops, be it monetarily, emotionally, in developing friendships, etc.  Applause!  Applause!!  Applause!!!

Gentlemen, you put content on your site that I would neverrrrr include in my work, BUT, you also include content that swells my heart with pride towards a vast many Americans who work so hard, and sacrifice so much, to make life better for a whole lot of people.  For that, my sincere thanks to you for all your hard work, and I'm thrilled that Dragon Laffs lives on.

Semper Fi,

Angelia

(Please pardon any typos or grammatical errors - I'm still doing the hoot-owl-shift-shuffle.)












3 comments:

Dan Lenahan said...

Nicely put. I too am glad for the reprieve. A wee bit of ID & LL is a whole lot better than silence. I'll happily take the crumbs.

S.Phibber McGee said...

'Tis the Lethal Leprechaun himself here~

Begorrah! Such kind, accurate and balanced assessment and from a person of religious bent as well! When I first saw the blog and the way this was headed I was afraid it was back in the Hand-basket Express for me! However by the time I hit the end I didn't even feel the need to ask for rebuttal time!

You have both Impish and my sincere gratitude for your attempting to help us. This entire affair has been an eye opener for us as when the decision was made we didn't really think anyone was going to care much we were gone. Apparently we were quite mistaken.

You also have me apologies for my language as while you were most kind not to say it I know that most of the "salt" in our blog comes from me. Going "lo-salt" is something that dear Molly is always on me about. Believe it or not my tone and language have actually become blander than in our old e-mail group days when I used to really get worked up and pitch a hissy over some of the goings on. I'm not sure if I am mellowing or if its Molly grinding the salt off my hide! She's fond of saying she is aging like fine wine while I'm fermenting like vinegar.

As for the questionable graphics and things of that nature in my defense I plead 'the Dragon made me do it!' Actually this goes to show the importance of comments and feed back which we had been asking for and simply not getting. Had we heard people didn't like certain things we might have reconsidered them. I thought of my posts as somewhat irreverent and irascible but not particularly offensive. Maybe I need to reexamine and rethink that a little. LOL I also confess to being a wee disappointed that my recipe offerings garnered no comment! Maybe I just haven't located your weakness yet.

Stick with us at DragonLaffs and I promise good things to come. We are committed to making this work in some way shape or form as well as improving it. For now the upside of a reduced number of postings per week means I have time to work on some developmental projects for the blog that have always seemed to get pushed back on the shelf in favor of getting issues out the door. Among the things we are looking at are some purchasable Impish Dragon DragonLaffs Leprechaun Laughs and Lethal Leprechaun swag, some new and interesting features (if we can afford to pay for them), possibly moving our hosting site to another venue such as Blogspot or going to a hosting on a kindly offered private server.

Lastly I tried to post this under me own name but kept getting told I was not me and I didn't own me own WordPress name despite publishing there for over a year now!

Slainte & Semper Fi indeed!

Lethal

Unknown said...

To Mr. Lenahan, I'm with you - I'll take what we get and be thankful for it!

To Lethal, you have no need for any apologies to me. Many thanks and God bless you and Impish for such great effort and sacrifice.

Your work inspires me and others far more than you realize.