Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Good Counsel

femmeflashpoint
My weekend has come to a close, and it's been an eventful one.  Some of it very good, and a bit of not so great.  However, not so great is much better than absolutely awful, and I prefer to focus on the positive and work from there.
The good parts were that I got to spend some time with some wonderful friends that I get to see nearly as often as I'd like to.

Kristen L., Torres and I met up yesterday afternoon at one of our haunts on Southside, and somehow, we managed to keep the laughter to a reasonable volume.  Usually, we're quite loud. 


The mood wasn't subdued, but we had so much to catch up on, it was like being in a newsroom with bits of information flying across the table to one another.  I was loving it!  

It felt good to hear familiar laughter, and see familiar smiles.  And, it felt good to be all caught up with a lot of the stuff going on in their lives.

The good Bishop Spencer K. McCool Sr. reiterated earlier something wonderful about real friends.  It can be days, months, weeks or even years between one seeing the other, but with good friends, you simply pick up where you left off, keep going, and enjoy what time you've got together.  Point is, if you've got friends like that you're blessed, and if you don't you have my sympathy.  Mine are a part of what makes life rich, and I'm very thankful for the privilege of having them.

Kristen L.

I tend to feel sorry for Torres when Kristen and I dive into a discussion on politics.  Torres is not one to enjoy political discussion.  For that matter, Kristen and I don't like politics much either.  But, we all like freedom, and we frequently discuss how much we'd like to keep it.

And, while Kristen and I engage in a passionate and rapid-fire exchange on steps being made to keep the power with the people, Torres ends up being stuck in the middle of the cacophony, keeping the boat steady.

I gotta hand it to her, she makes a great team-anchor, and she manages it flawlessly.  So far she hasn't asked us to get up and sit somewhere else far, far away from her.

Kristen and I don't agree on everything, however, the gap is bridged by mutual respect for one anothers' differences in beliefs and opinions.

One of the points we DO agree on, and strongly, is that control of the country should always be in the hands of "We The People", not the bureaucrats and politicians.


Torres and D.J.

I'm of the opinion we managed to keep the volume down at yesterday's dinner because we were lacking D.J. Davis in the mix.

The best description I have of our friend D.J. is that of a firecracker.  She's teeny-tiny, but toss her into a wagon load of dormant fireworks, and stand back because the whole things gonna blow up into a rocketing display of color and sparkles.

She's wonderful company and I love it when she's got time to meet up with the rest of us for an outing.

When the outing finished and we parted ways, I made it home in time to spend the remainder of the evening in a "square table" discussion on the patio, until late into the night, with Jared, Seth and Lukas, of the Muscle Next Door.  With cooler temps, during our impromptu conferences, the guys tend to drink cocoa and I drink coffee, while we sit and discuss the latest in books, software, hardware, politics, Christianity, people of interest, etc., etc., until our teeth are chattering and our eyelids are heavy.  I think we called it quits and put our ideas to bed around midnight.  Our back-yard brainstorming always leave me tired, but it also keeps me young-minded, and I leave them with fresh ideas for consideration as well as literature content.

In regards to the good Bishop McCool, many of us are die-hard in our devotion to reading those little posts he puts up daily on facebook, barring when he simply isn't able to get to it, and that's not often.  He's been pretty steadfast about making them happen since I've been an avid follower of what he writes, which started about a year ago, this month.  Many, many things have changed in my heart since reading those posts, all in good ways, and the improvement continues.

It takes time to do them.  Time he could be spending doing other things.  And, he doesn't just yank a scripture and throw it on the page.  He's thought about it.  He's prayed about it.  He's considered the impact it might have.  And, I think  he'd still take the time to do it if it, even if it was only helping one person. 

He doesn't do it for popularity.  He doesn't make any money from it.  He doesn't do it because he has nothing else, or better to be doing.

Bishop Spencer K. and Lady Joyce McCool
He does it because he cares, for me, for you, and for anyone else who might be reading his work.  He doesn't mind when it's copied and pasted onto other peoples' pages.  I've even seen his dailys show up on other folks pages who didn't attribute the post to being his, yet I've never heard him fuss about it. 

He, and his Lady Joyce, have their own battles to fight, their own struggles to cope with, and yet they continue to share what they have freely, with the rest of us.  What they share is the Good News, the Gospel of Christ, hope, encouragement, confirmation, and in a unique and personal way. 

In the reading and the reaping, it's easy to forget that they might need ministered to as well.  That truth can easily become an oversight by their readers because the Bishop and Joyce are incredibly strong, positive and resolute people.  But truth is, they DO need prayer, every day, just like the rest of us.

I'm saying this for two reasons.  One is to ensure it's known that I'm thankful for their friendship, for their ministry, for the type of lives they lead, and the help and guidance I've often derived from it.  The other is as a reminder to keep them in our prayers as well, so they can continue to do those marvellous things they do that stir the soul in so many of us, and help us to keep moving in the right direction.

God bless you, thank you for reading, and please don't forget to thank a Vet the next time you have the opportunity!

femmeflashpoint 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to get together with friends and eat and converse.

Unknown said...

Anonymous,

I feel the need for it frequently, but I don't manage to find the time for it nearly as often as I'd like to. There are usually schedule conflicts to contend with. However, yesterday's timing worked out perfectly. :)

Lethal Leprechaun said...

THE tradition and need to "break bread" with friends and family is the root of modern civilization.

IF you look at the areas of the world with the oldest histories, you'll finds these traditions far more engrained and heavily practiced than in more modern societies.

Because we tend to shy away from these practices in the modern technologically drive society our children and future generations suffer declining ethics, moral values and social mores.

We'd do well by our own future to take a step back slow a pace down and take aa page for the "old world" countries in this regard. The future of our country and families would be far better off for it!

Unknown said...

Good evening Lethal,

Kristen was so hungry by the time we got to the restaurant, she was all over the bread breaking.

They really do have great food, and they easily accomodate my weird "foods I can eat" list.

They make really good alcohol-free Strawberry Margueritas too, lol.

Next time I'll take pics. I intended to this time but we'd not been out together in so long, catching up with each other was the priority, and between the food and the conversation, I forgot to whip out my camera. :)

femme

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Maybe next time you can do it in a pool or spy or pool side in swim wear! That should spice up those pictures for sure!

Unknown said...

Lethal,

I do good to get my friends to allow me to post their pics in the blog, simply to put faces with names.

Posting them in swimwear isn't an option, but, I'll be sure to tell you them you suggested it, lol.

femme

Lethal Leprechaun said...

I'll even supply the pool & spa!

Tell you what I'll even make 'Celtic Dream Milk Shakes (an adult beverage to be sure!), Irish Nachos & Buffalo Style Turkey wings!

Unknown said...

Lethal,

Tempting, but .... pass, lol!

femme

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Are you speaking for just you or all them women folk?

Unknown said...

Lethal,

" .... them women folk ... "

I can't help but wonder if that came out with an Irish lilt or a Southern drawl, lol.

Cute ....

femme

Lethal Leprechaun said...

I fear that was in a Southern drawl which a recent New England transplant much to my horror remarked I was developing after being exposed to it's invasive syrupiness for over 10 years now.

I had not realized how many "Southernisms" have crept into my everyday speech. It's so frightening and disheartening I may have to find some audiobooks (which I hate) read by someone who speaks proper "Queen's English" or better yet if I can find any by an Irishman speaking "emerald English" and get me a fast booster shot against turning into a Red Necked Good Ol' Bubba Boy.

Lastly heres a clue on how you should have known it was a southern drawl, it it were an Irish lilt it would have read "all the fair lasses (or lassies)"

Slán go fóill!
(Good bye for now)

Unknown said...

Lethal,

A Southern accent won't kill ya. It'll just make the Yanks grin at you when you talk. ;)

femme

Anonymous said...

I'll go as far as to say the "sharp edges" having been blunted on my New England accent and the substitution of some Southern & Texan terms for certain items has done the levels of suspicion and confidence in me that potential customers have a world of good.

Apparently while I am not nor will I ever qualify as a True Son of the Republic (and strangely I'm quite happy with that) I am no longer looked at or thought of as a carpetbagger. Arguably a good portion of this has to do with marrying a Texas girl from ( at least in the Rio Grand Valley) a well known family, as well as my standard line when asked what caused me to move from Connecticut all the way to Texas. My response- "I had to come all this way to find a decent woman to marry as I got tired of searching New England after 20 years and wasn't ready to move back to Ireland and search there."

However conversely I find my New England friends and professional contact taking a bit slower and "dumbing things down" more and more as I lose my New Englander sound, making more Red Neck, Bubba and Larry the Cable Guy jokes at my expense.

The last time I had cause to journey as far North of the Mason-Dixon line as Washington D.C> I was met at the Airport with the greeting "What? No 10 gallon cowboy hat for you Tex?"

Fortunately I still have and remain true to my roots. When inquiries are made as to my "color affiliation- Burnt Orange or Maroon" (Aggies or Longhorns) I proudly reply "Blue & Gold!"
Conveniently, this covers not only the USNA but Norte Dame as well.

Woe be it unto he who mistakes my Red T-shirt of polo for an ill informed attempt to sport Aggies colors too! The last drunken big mouthed fool who did so got dressed down ion true Marine fashion loudly and as publicly as the comments he was making while the bill of my cap poke holes in his head and I flecked bits of cigar tobacco all over him. He wound up slinking off and leaving in embarrassment of "his profound drunken red neck ignorance and the over all level of his Bubba moronity which should preclude him from procreating and there by further sullying the gene pool." LOL, as my host pointed out he didn't consider it an officially successful party until I had ass chewed the the first drunk boor into fleeing for his life.

Apparently you can take me out of New England and the New England out of my voice but you cannot take the New England puritan attitude towards drunks and the distaste for having to put up with them and their behavior out of me.

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Bloody hell! Soddin Blogger.com! That was not an "anonymous" comment!

I bloody well said it and sent a good 1/2 hour writing it and I'm not buggering well afraid to admit it either!

Unknown said...

Lethal,

I don't think you will need to worry about the "anonymous" bit.

The readers would have known it was you whether it had assigned a commentor's name or not, lol.

femme

TreasuredPirate said...

Hello there, Doll!!! I'm so glad I found you!! I'd been dishing about your written eloquence to my Beau and now I can really share =) Lunch a fabulous treat. We absolutely need to get together more! I'm going to be getting more material your way. I've got pix & just have to translate my dad's DD-214 LOL! Miss you terribly!! Can't wait 'til our next gathering. Keep up the great work!

~Kristen L.

Unknown said...

Hey there, Goth-Baby!

So happy to see you made it to my desk! (Grin!)

Thank you HUGELY for the material and photos you've sent, and I've plans to get to your beau's photo and journal excerpts when I get back home this evening from a meeting.

Tell him and your Dad I extend huge thanks for their contribution, as well as their service time!

Love and big hugs!!

femme