Monday, May 28, 2012

Stockyards for the 48th

"Oh what a night ... !"

For about a decade (or a little more), Riscky's in the Fort Worth Stockyards Train Station has been the gathering point for my birthday party.

Yesterday evening, the Texas crew came piling in, smiling through the sweat, and waiting patiently in line until they could clear a spot on the patio large enough to accomodate everyone.  This year I turned 48, and the older I get the more appreciative I am of their efforts to keep in good spirits about the numbers in my birthday climbing higher and higher.

I received more smiles and hugs than I could count, and was thrilled to get to spend the evening with some of the  most wonderful folks in Texas!  Several of them go out of their way each year to ensure my birthday is a memorable event, and help to keep the homesick-blues for Kentucky-ana to a dull thud.  Thanks gang!  I totally appreciate you!

My tech-mates from U.T. Southwestern Transplant Services Center started the tradition way back in 2001 and over the years it caught on to become the annual birthday bash that we get together for, on every Memorial Day weekend.  Folks showed up from U.T. Transplant, Laurel Land Funeral Home of Fort Worth, Agero Company in Irving, and for the first time, two of the Muscle Next Door, along with Elizabeth were able to join in.


Sadly, and much to my dismay, I somehow dropped the ball on taking photos.  I got so wrapped up in all the hugs, smiles and chatting that I forgot to ask one of my camera-packing compadres to get pictures.

But, before it was over S.Elf managed to get a couple of shots for me.  Thank you, S.Elf, for coming to the rescue.

And, my thanks to Bobby D. (Bobby Debenport - Funeral Director at Laurel Land) who is exceptional in eagerly greeting new friends.  He shakes hands and introduces himself and makes a big effort to ensure they feel comfortable while they're getting acquainted with new faces.

Torres is the main coordinator for this event.  This year, she finally crossed the line and made arrangements for that one thing that she knows makes me grind my teeth.  The restaurant staff showed up and climbed on benches to sing loudly and present a Riscky's birthday cake.

I'd managed to escape that sort of thing up 'til last night, and Torres was totally cheesin' when the grim look of, "Oh noooooo ..... " came over my face. 

(Sigh ... )

Torres is one of my best friends, and I love her dearly, but now .... I'm obligated to get even.


Tony and Conquistador
We had an unplanned surprise at last night's gathering, that was just the coolest sight!  Tony, and his beautiful horse, Conquistador, put on an impromptu performance, taking several turns up Exchange Street, and they were awesome to watch!  Tony was also kind enough to come back and do it one more time so I could get a video of them.

My apologies to Tony's friend who also allowed me to get photos of him and his horse as well.  Unfortunately, I blurred the shots too much to be able to incloude them in today's post.  But, hopefully, I'll be able to get substitute pics of them to add later on.

They received applause and enthusiastic cheers from our group, and Tony said he'd be happy to bring Conquistador back next year to dance for the party again.








Tonight Torres and I plan to be at The Grotto, to see a debut perfomance by local songwriter, vocalist and classic guitarist, Sam Gross.

Several of my friends and colleagues have already attended various performances by Sam, and I've heard very positive reviews on him.  Tonight will be my first time to catch one of his gigs, so I'm going with high expectations!

Sam's a very cool guy, who's easy to get acquainted with.  He's also a U.S. Veteran, so you know how high that rates with me. :)  I'm looking forward to tonight's event.

That's it for this one!  I'm headed to Laurel Land Memorial Park to cover their annual Memorial Day observance.

God bless!  Thanks for the read and don't forget to thank a Veteran at your next opportunity!

femmeflashpoint

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great Birthday , loved the dancing horse. Wish I could have been there.

Lethal Leprechaun said...

Congrats on the birthday, commiserations on the encroaching old age.

Since I was not invited I guess I'll just have to raise this issue in LL on Wednesday!

Unknown said...

Anonymous,

Wish you could have been there too! :)

The party was sooooooo nice!

femme

Unknown said...

Lethal,

The Marines never need an invitation to any party thrown for me.

If they're not welcome, I'd not attend. :)

Wish you and your lady could have been there with us.

I suppose next Spring, we'll have to do some geographical rearranging to get your area closer to our area. :)

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

femme